Finding The Best GPS Fish Finder, Thanks to the invention of the GPS fish finder, the days of aimlessly trolling around a waterway looking for fish are over. However, this innovative piece of technology does more than find fish. Thanks to the GPS, or Global Positioning System, you can also chart your journey. If you’re planning an extended fishing trip, then this one device can fill all of your needs. In this article, we’ll look at the features that the best GPS fish finder should have.
There are so many options, features and variations of these devices that picking the best GPS fish finder can be overwhelming. Before you actually go to a fish finder store that sells GPS marine devices, you should come up with a list of features that you require. Once you have that list in hand you can compare them with the available GPS fish finder combos. Many GPS fish finders include full GPS navigation capabilities, as well as chart plotting functions and are equipped with sonar. Many combos come with different kinds of preset maps of coastlines, lakes, rivers and other fishing areas of interest too. The newest models have impressive color displays, and the best ones have sunlight viewable displays, so that on sunny days you wont struggle to see the information you need.
- 1 Best GPS Fish Finders
- 1.1 Humminbird Helix 7 DI GPS FishFinder
- 1.2 Lowrance Elite-7 HDI GPS FishFinder
- 1.3 Garmin GPSMAP 431S GPS DualBeam Combo FishFinder
Best GPS Fish Finders
Humminbird Helix 7 DI GPS FishFinder
If you like fishing at the weekend with your buddies and loved ones and looking for a reasonable gadget who will help you catch the fish, The Humminbird Helix 7 DI GPS is the right choice for you. It has advanced sonar and mapping technologies. It is reliable, friendly and easy to use.
Thanks to 800 x 480 resolution and 1500 nit brightness the image is bright and natural. With 16:9 aspect ratio, the Helix 7 DI GPS provides enough space for user to view two screens side by side. With all the latest features it makes fishing and navigation lot easier. Built-in quick release gimbal mount makes angle adjustments and removal much easier for the user.
Helix 7 DI; 7-inch display offers a resolution of 800 x 480 megapixels. It gives a clear picture from the underwater which helps user to understand what is happening beneath. 16:9 aspect ratio provides wide angle view of underwater. The glass is bonded with reducing glare which make unit efficient during day and night. LED backlit display helps enhance on-screen readability.
IPX7 waterproof level
Helix 7; Rain during fishing is likely and fishermen usually carry raincoats but this not the case with most of the fisher finder units. This unit if complete waterproof with IPx7. The unit is water friendly and can stay in a meter depth for 30 minutes without any problem.
Humminbird Helix 7 DI GPS; The unit comes with extra RAM with embedded processor. Extra RAM helps reduce image processing time, so the images will be updated quickly without any delay.
Micro-SD Card Slot
Micro-SD cards are commonly used to store and transfer data from one medium to another. The unit comes with a Micro-SD card slot which allows users to record and capture sonar images.
The unit comes with GPS with storage capacity of up to 2500 waypoints and 45 routes. Each route can store 50 waypoints. It also offers detailed history. This consists of a breadcrumb trail points. Thanks to the inbuilt GPS users can record current tracks in real times.
Lowrance Elite-7 HDI GPS FishFinder
The Lowrance’s new product has two main tools one is for finding fishes and other for navigation, these chartplotters / fish finders have been included in by the company. With an 800×480 pixel 7-inch display you get an extra clear view from the 3D SONARS or GPS mapping packages and Broadband. The display is really a thing which is worth the price. With this being said, on comparing it with the screen of an iPad Mini it is just a little bit smaller.
Hybrid Dual Imaging Technology
HDI technology means that the power of two imaging systems joined together is in your hand which distinguishes clearly between fish structure and arches and shows the bottom clearly.
Both high-resolution Down Scan SONAR and Broadband SONAR can easily be viewed on this Lowrance Elite-7 HDI FishFinder, this transducer, which is nearly equal to any other transducer in size, can be installed quite easily; so that you may get to see echoes from the broadband SONAR with echoes of high-resolution 3D SONAR.
Track-Back feature lets the user review the sonar history so that the user can go back and check the SONAR readings to make it clear that he hasn’t missed anything at the same time if he has GPS on, the company’s elite 7 HDI fish finder will also provide him back with directions back to the spot, in case if he has missed something.
Lowrance Elite-7 also contains the trackback feature and has efficient and accurate internal GPS; it also comes with a built-in base map which is compatible with Navionics® Gold, Fishing Hotspots® Pro and can be updated with the help of built-in microSD card which also waterproof.
Crystal-Clear Down Scan Imaging
Lowrance Elite’s Down Scan Imaging technology gives you a crystal clear view of the baitfish, bottom, predator fish, structure and thermoclines located directly underneath the boat. There is no need for interpretation. Lowrance Elite-7 HDI Fishfinder Combo allows you to choose between 455 kHz and 800 kHz; it also consists of 83 kHz/200 kHz sonar:
- 455 kHz: With this frequency, you can get deeper and wider imaging coverage.
- 800 kHz: With this frequency, you get an enhanced view of the targeted or selected location.
- 83 kHz: With this frequency, you can easily explore locations at higher speeds and in deeper water.
Waypoints can be marked so that you may get to know where the big fish was and where you caught it. This marking feature comes built-in with Basemap or Navionics. Basemap is a very simple map and it isn’t fully reliable to be used for navigation. If you are thinking to do chart plotting heavily, you would have to include an additional charting package. Navionics Gold Charts display outlines like a paper-chart and is able to show whole continents and on zooming it will still provide your location with accuracy up to nearly 3 feet.
Internal GPS antenna is 16 Channel and has the pre-loaded memory which can store up to 3,000 waypoints, 100 retraceable plot trails/10,000 points per trail and 100 routes/ 100 waypoints per route
Changing View of Split Screen
The big 7inch screen gives you a view of many things on the screen for your comfort.
You can view Broadband SONAR, DownScan SONAR at the same time or you can view them separately, and you can also give a view to charting alone or you could view it in combination with others or with any one of DownScan SONAR or Broadband SONAR.
The view also allows you to compare the readings of DownScan and Broadband SONAR next to each other or you can view all the three things at once.
An option is also available in the menu to adjust the panel’s size which by default gives every panel equal size, but you can easily change the view of one to see it a little bit more bigly.
Garmin GPSMAP 431S GPS DualBeam Combo FishFinder
This is a nice unit and Garmin is a good manufacturer of these kinds of products. There are good reviews from owners on this and is one of the reasons I decided to do this review.
- The Garmin GPSMAP 431S GPS Dual Beam Combo FishFinder is a compact chart plotter that features an ultra-bright 4″ QVGA color display along with an improved high-speed digital design for increased map drawing and panning speeds. It’s ready to go with a built-in, satellite-enhanced base map preloaded with U.S. Inland Lakes and an easy-to-use interface designed to help you navigate the open waters with ease. For areas outside the U.S., the Garmin GPSMAP 431S GPS Dual Beam Combo FishFinder has a worldwide base map with satellite images in place of more traditional maps.
- The GPSMAP 431s also accepts BlueChart® g2 Vision® cards for added features and functionality such as high-resolution satellite imagery, 3-D views, and Auto Guidance technology.
- The GPSMAP 431s also comes standard with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver for superior satellite tracking and quicker acquisition times. And with an SDTM card slot, it’s easy to add additional maps
- 11.3 x 8.4 x 5.5 inches ; 4.5 pounds
- Alarms for fish size, shallow water, deep water, and low battery
- Power output: 400 watts (RMS) 3200 watts (peak to peak), dual beam
- Tilt & Swivel Mount
- Simple Controls
- QVGA display
- Color Screen
- The clear screen that shows up well in any light conditions
- Screen Resolution (VxH) = 240 x 320
- Ultra-bright 4″ diagonal QVGA display, 240 x 320 pixels – over 800 nits of brightness
- High-speed processor for fast screen redraws and smooth panning
- Depth: 900 feet/300 meters (dual beam)
- UltraScroll high rep rate sonar provides lightning-fast screen updates
- Water temperature log graphically records water temp data
The GPS fish finder is an amazing device that practically eliminates the frustration of going home empty handed after a long day of fishing. A great variety of these devices are available today, and the Internet is a great resource for finding the best GPS fish finder for your needs. You can review their features and functions and compare prices. Being prepared before you go shopping is essential to getting a great device that will meet your needs, either for high sea fishing charters, outings on lakes or shallow coastal fishing.